Friday, January 2, 2009

My Simple New Year Resolutions for 2009

I never took new year resolutions but in the previous year at some point I decided to create a list of things I wanted to learn and published it in my blog. It worked very well, I received a lot of invaluable comments, I kept coming back to the same post to keep myself on track. It really helps, you should write one too.

So this year I decided to broaden the scope of my resolutions from just technology to my life as a whole. These are my simple resolutions:

Do As Less As Possible

Sometimes I feel like doing everything, I mean at once. Like learning C++, completing a networking-related certification, mastering Python, doing an Open Source project, going for gym, learning Emacs, participating in Mumbai marathon, photography and watching falling stars.

And the problem I have is, when I'm doing something I would want to do something else. So this year, I decided to do only 3 things:
  • C++
  • Algorithms and Data Structures
  • Gymming
The picky professor in you may say that "Algorithms and Data Structures" are 2 things, but... it's okay, they're a bit related.


Take It Easy

There's something in me that's absolutely restless (I guess that's there in everyone). It constantly screams at you to do something great and significant in life but it doesn't have the patience to wait for you to complete. It wants us to do many things. From now on, I'll refuse to listen to that voice. I've heard it enough, now I want to concentrate on doing it.

It's OK to fail sometimes. It's OK to not achieve some of your goals. It's absolutely fine to do nothing productive on weekends. It's perfectly cool to watch a crappy Hindi movie with coworkers. It's nice to chill out and feel good. It's in fact re-energizing. It's nice to visit places. It's good to pass time chit-chatting with friends on weekends. All work and no play will only make Srikanth a dull boy. But dull no more :)


Be Mr.Fit

I wanted to run like Matt Damon in The Bourne Supremacy today morning. I don't know why. Just wanted to run like there's no ending. That's when I realized I didn't run since I left college. I didn't play any outdoor games too. It's time to do all that, again. And it's also the time to hit the gym to keep me fit.

My friend Ranganathan told me a few inspiring words when I met him recently, it was roughly: "When you lose everything in life, such as money and power, and if you're still alive, the only thing remaining is your body."

So, what are your new year resolutions?

4 comments:

TechMaddy said...

All the best for your resolutions.

Mine I will do it and then it will be known.

Srikanth said...

Thanks Maddy!

Yep, post it on your blog. Let's see what your plans are ;-)

Anonymous said...

just on a guess ... are you a gemini?

Srikanth said...

@Anonymous: Wrong, I'm not a Gemini.

Post a Comment